The Institute of Physics (IOP) is a leading scientific society. We are a charitable organisation with a worldwide working together to advance physics education, research and application.
We engage with policymakers and the general public to develop awareness and understanding of the value of physics and, through IOP Publishing, we are world leaders in professional scientific communications.
For information, please visit iop.org/membership or email membership.iop.org
Our members come from diverse backgrounds and follow all kinds of career paths; click here to read some our members’ stories. From enthusiastic amateurs to those at the top of their fields in academia, business, education and government, membership of the IOP is for anyone who shares our ambition of increasing awareness of the importance of physics in government, education and industry.
Membership enables you to:
- Join any of our special interest groups at the heart of the community
- Attend IOP conferences and events with exclusive member rates and grants
- Participate in regional meetings and activities organised by your local branch
- Gain professional registration as a Chartered Physicist and Chartered Engineer
- Stand out with MInstP (for members) or FInstP (for fellows) after your name
- Receive tailored career support and guidance through our mentor matching scheme
- Develop key transferable skills with free online courses
- Enhance your CV and perfect your interview skills with career tips and techniques guides
- Take control of your professional development with the MyCareerPath online management tool
- Get the latest physics news delivered to your door, mobile device or desktop every month with Physics World magazine
- Interact with professionals through the members only LinkedIn group
- Create your own @physics.org forwarding email address
IOP Carer's Fund
The IOP Carers’ Fund is available to help members with caring responsibilities attend physics-related meetings, events or conferences that they might not otherwise be able to go to. For more information, please visit the website.